Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday mourning.

Death and taxes. Nothing is as certain as death and taxes. But still, death is not something people talk a lot on compared to taxes, I think. Anyway, most people would prefer to avoid rather than talk about death. It's like a taboo to speak of such word that symbolise darkness, sadness and sorrow. But personally, refusing to speak of it is like denying the fact that sooner or later, we and other living creatures on the face of the earth will die.

What's with the sudden interest in death? Well, this morning, I was blogwalking while marking my students' papers and I stumbled upon a blog that talks about a young blogger by the name Yasmin Hunwick. Her blog is called http://misschronicz.blogspot.com. She died in June last year, at the age of 17 in an accident along with two friends. So what's so special about that? Nothing, if that is all to it. But what she experienced before her death is what caught my attention.

Now, I'm not really good in conveying thoughts into words. So, I'm sure my writing won't be good enough to touch the hearts of you people out there. But if you wanna know her story, just click the link and read her posts or just google her name and read what others have wrote about her. I'm pretty sure you'll get the clear view of her and maybe you can feel what I felt when I read her story.

And while I was reading blog posts and reports on her, two students of mine suddenly came to my table, asking for some donations to be given to one of their friend who has just lost his mother this morning due to cancer. I'm sure it's a great blow to him especially when the final exam is just in couple weeks time. 

These two things remind me of the thing that I've forgotten. Death is certain, indeed. But the why, when, where, what and how, remain a mystery. We just have to prepare for it. To both of them and those that we knew, who have left us, may their soul rest in peace. Al-Fatihah...


No comments: